Friday, January 06, 2006

IPod Isolation

Digital information has transformed the way people control their media (audio & video). College campuses are ripe with students listening to their MP3 players as they journey about campus. Individuals wearing headphones are everywhere. This leads to 'IPod Isolation'; involvement in society without having to interact directly with other individuals within. Cell phones have a similar effect, distancing persons from their immediate surroundings, but IPods have taken it to a new level.

Example: Before walking out of the house to buy a paper, I decide I don't want to talk to the newspaper salesman. Further, I don't want any strangers in line (or along the way) to chitchat with me. Even if I see someone I know, I can simply nod in their direction and continue without interruption. By wearing my headphones (heck, they can be plugged into your pocket if you've misplaced your player), others accept my isolation.

I usually pause my player if interacting with another person, but most remain silent anyway and use body language to communicate. This social quarantine from the physical world has grown in the 'digital age' and with internet usage; email, instant messaging, text messaging... They ensure rapid communications with those we're already acquainted, but it is taking away random encounters.

Saying 'hello' to a stranger does not happen where I live. Friendliness for its own sake is nonexistent (hyperbole). I went to New Orleans in July 2004 and was astounded by the amicable nature of the local population. The northeast needs to get nicer. Even common courtesy is too scarce.

If you insist on wearing your headphones, at least be cognizant of your surroundings. Listening to music is not an excuse for closing a door in someone's face. Are we so absorbed in our isolation that we consider it absurd to stand by a door for five additional seconds to hold it for a stranger? Next time, hold a door even if the next person is twenty feet outside it. Then watch their face and hear their 'Thank you'; sincere gratitude will be your reward.

Comment Response: Limit the scope of this article to the NYC-Philly metro area. I'm sure Vermont is very different from here. Thanks to our reader for enhancing the discussion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. This is like many other things in our society today that lead away from personal interaction. So much time spent at woork leaves people without the time or energy to socialize. The TV sucks us in for hours at a time. Now the computer does as well. The list goes on.
But I think up here in VT technically part of the Northeast we at least try to be friendly, most of the time.