Sunday, March 26, 2006

A Felon?

I work with a young man from India who came to America illegally.

He boarded a boat in India, making brief stops in Thailand and Hong Kong, and finally landing in central America. He then spent 19 days in the jungle, working his way north. When he reached northern Mexico, a coyote took him across the border. He told me, "When I was coming here, I was really scared." How many Americans would spend 19 days in a jungle to get to their homeland?

Since then he has maintained employment and worked on learning the culture (I'm a part-time waiter, part-time civics teacher). He is more engaged with America than many Americans.

Next month he will go for his citizenship examination. I hope he passes. He's earned it.

If Congress passes it's current immigration reform bill, any illegal immigrant would become a felon. Is the desire for a better life a felony?

The Big Picture: incorporating 11 million (at least) illegal immigrants into the system will solve many problems, including adding tax revenue. Put the added funds into the social security fund; let's get the seniors on board.

No comments: