Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Little Something About People

After Tiger Woods won the 2006 British Open, he dedicated his performance to his father who had died the previous May. He openly wept. A person, whom I'm content to call a very good friend, remarked that he disapproved of such a display, that he somehow thought less of the man. I couldn't disagree more and I'll share a story to prove my point...

Another very good friend - the toughest son-of-a-gun I've ever met - and I shared an occasion that brings some perspective: when our fellow fraternity brother died at the tender age of 21, we sat next to each other during the funeral mass (a mourning attended by the Governor). It was an incredibly sad day and, during the service, nearly every individual broke down. When I couldn't contain myself, he put an understanding grip upon my shoulder and vice versa.

It's exceedingly sad that only monumental moments seem to truly awaken us.

No comments: