Friday, January 25, 2008

Clinton Campaign Hypocrisy 101

"I don't mind taking hits on my record on issues, but when somebody starts throwing mud at least we can hope it's accurate and not right out of the Republican playbook," said a front-running Hillary Clinton on November 15, 2007.

Now in a tighter race than she expected, the mud is flying so fast that many Democrats are scolding the Clintons (especially Bill, a.k.a. the new Agnew) for their bare-knuckle tactics. Their lines of attack, for example the entire Reagan episode, have been employed out of context, inaccurately or false all together. An uncommitted Jim Clyburn (D-SC) put it in the mildest of terms, saying, "(Bill) needs to chill a little bit." Our old buddy John Kerry (D-MA) was more frank (though ineloquent), saying, "I think you had an abuse of the truth, is what happened. …I mean, being an ex-president does not give you license to abuse the truth, and I think that over the last days it's been over the top."

It's the classic Bill Clinton hit job: I would never say anything negative about how my opponent is (insert negative) or (insert negative). I don't bring up (insert negative) and (insert negative) like they would. It would be unfair to judge them solely on (insert negative) or (insert negative). I don't want to inject emotional hot-button issues but (insert multiple emotional hot-button issues). But you know me, I never said a word about anyone.

No comments: