Sunday, August 24, 2008

Two Tent-Pole Issues (And Then Some)

First, the death penalty:

As a younger man, I concluded ‘an eye for an eye’ was about right, but my translation has since evolved. When murders kill, a life is lost. My position on God-given liberties intertwines, and now I believe the government has no business taking life. A government killing its citizens is immoral. Man has no certainty concerning life. Society’s worst should rot in dark cells, thinking about their grievance until their natural death. This puts me at odds with the GOP and polled Americans, but it’s where I stand.

9/11, Terrorism, Defense Policy in General:

There are Democrats who’ve concluded shortcomings in Iraq require a tactical retreat. They argue for more troops in Afghanistan (John McCain has lobbied for more troops from NATO for years), and they’re right, but they hold a cynical position. The left flank is full of doves, singing for world peace at any cost as reality (read: the world’s armies) takes it claim. The “peace divided” gave this country 20 million jobs, as Clintonistas are quick to point out while conveniently forgetting that a GOP tax plan that fostered the growth, and cost three thousand civilian lives. Now we have a choice of winning crucial battles in a war we weren't prepared for, or losing them. Democrats, especially their hard left, are calling for peace despite its consequence, and I fear the American public will not understand the entirety of the situation until a city is leveled. I guess that makes me a fear-monger, and Democrats are all too happy to paint anyone who takes our enemies seriously as such. Again, it’s cynical and a misplaced attack.

In a side note: the blatancy of camp Obama’s inference that somehow John McCain has Alzheimer’s is insulting and offensive. Saying he’s confused, forgetful, or “lost track,” is an insidious attack, the type Obama claim to be above. Surprise, surprise, Obama lied (google: obama positions reversal for 1.6 million results!)

It’s an election of stark contrasts, that’s for sure.

1 comment:

El Sig said...

I can't join you in your anti-death penalty stance, as I am pro-death politically. For aborton, for the death penalty, for the war, etc.

However I consider myself a staunch conservative. It's a big tent and only retards or democrats are single issue voters.

You're always welome here.

BTW, if McCain chooses his best buddy Leiberman as his running mate, I may vote for Obama in the hopes that the republicans won't nominate another non-conservative candidate.