Friday, April 28, 2006

In The Weeds

First: I realize I am very behind on many issues. If you've never heard of 'In The Weeds,' it is a service sector phrase meaning 'very busy' (It's like when every step you take, some person asks for one more thing and you can't move without taking on more tasks while not accomplishing others). I will catch up eventually but, like foreign diplomacy, it will take a long time.

Second: responding to a reader comment about an Independent candidate... I say Independent because our reader asked for "a non-political type common man." That means a person with enough personal wealth to finance a presidential campaign; that requires hundreds of millions of dollars. I wonder why are the two leading parties moving slow on campaign finance reform... Any candidate outside of the political machinery is effectively eliminated from serious contention unless they can afford a hundred million dollar hit. Plus, what if they lose? What am I saying, 'if'?

Third: if you aren't familiar with FactCheck.org, now is the time to see it. It is based out of the University of Pennsylvania and their mission statement is readily available on the 'About Us' page. I bring them up because of a current exposé, entitled Is This A Joke?. It speaks about Sen. Russ Feingold's (D-WI) PAC ad. On March 24, I drafted the following, "Sen. Feingold's call for censure is the start of his 15 minutes of fame. He reminds my of Dean with his brazen, exorbitant demeanor." I guess his fifteen minutes are up.

FactCheck.org was referred to by the VPOTUS during the 2004 debate (a clever tactic). I knew of the page before the debate and marveled at the thrashing Mr. Cheney gave the young Senator (D-NC). If you'd like to hear the debate, it's available: US Vice Presidential Debate (October 5, 2004)

No comments: