Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Gambling Run Amuck

Note: originally posted 11/23/2005 @ 9:30 pm. Re-posted after first comment.

"This is not a gambling site."

No Limit Texas Hold Em' poker; America's latest pop-culture foray has exploded since 2003. While I am no moralist, I do have concerns with the level of exposure and the commonality created by it. There is nary an hour of the day in which enthusiasts can not view programming with "Poker Stars" (recently created or otherwise) or moronic celebrities. That doesn't bother me.

The rise of internet based gambling has grown in conjunction with televised programming. Cards can be dealt right to your computer screen. Credit and debit cards are accepted, undoubtedly exposing more individuals to financial hardship once the ravages of gambling claim them. By no means do I suggest that all those using the internet or all those gambling will suffer, but access to gambling has expanded to more areas than ever before because of the internet. But that doesn't bother me.

Part of the allure of Hold Em' is, of course, the World Series of Poker, where anyone can become instantly rich and famous. Many watch poker with the desire of someday becoming the next unknown to win millions and many have laid out the $10k buy-in to pursue such ambitions. While I would prefer wealth to fame, none of this starry-eyed dreaming bothers me.

So what's the problem? $70 billion dollars a year spent on gambling while children go without health care? Sad, but not exactly corollary. I'm bothered, but not by gambling.

Before I mentioned internet gambling and its popularity. You've probably seen television ads promoting websites such as Party Poker and if you watch closely, you'll notice the disclaimer on the screen: This is not a gambling site. I believe this is legal because the site itself is not used for betting. It provides a program, which is downloaded and thus allows gambling. Simply semantics, but I'm starting to get a little bothered.

How old would you deem appropriate for a child to begin gambling? Apparently ten years old is the standard. A Hold Em' video game has been made with the above mentioned "poker stars" and is rated for children "10 and older." The fact that purveyors of gambling have begun preying on ten year children, now I'm really bothered.

I enjoy playing cards. I like to shoot craps. I've even been known to spin the Roulette wheel a bit. I just find it curious that gambling has exploded into realm of acceptability so quickly. Has it become something for children? Is it not still a gamble? In deed, every community in America is now a gambling town, whether they want to be or not.

Comment Response: Conservative or liberal, reasonable people can agree certain activities are unfavorable. Marketing gambling to children would certainly fall into that category. The game mentioned is "The Official Game: World Series of Poker" by ActiVision, Left Field Productions, and Toybox Games. The content is rated by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB) Everyone 10+. All video games receive a rating from the ESRB.

2 comments:

Chris Duckworth said...

Hey there - thanks for this post. do you have a link for this children's poker game? Also, I just started a blog concerned about child-friendly gambling - click my identity to view blog. Though you (a conservative) and I (a liberal) probably have different feelings about gambling and state-run lotteries, I think we can both agree that making gambing child-friendly is the wrong thing to do.

Anonymous said...

too much gambling in our culture .. an its all ok !


mynewsbot.com